10 Tips To Prevent Ingrown Nails
Ingrown nail is a nail condition where the nail grows inwards into the nail bed. It can be the result of an infectious swelling of the nail bed or any other reason. Ingrown nails can be very painful as the nail cuts the skin . The toes are more often effected by this condition in comparison to the finger nails. Some people are more prone to getting ingrown nails. Such people should take additional precautions. Since ingrown nails can only be removed through surgery, it is important that you take precautionary measures.
Here are some tips that can avoid the formation of ingrown nails:
1. Keep your nails in normal lengths. Avoid cutting your nails to lengths that are too short and also, avoid growing nails to lengths that are uncomfortable.
2. Cut your nails such that the shape of the edge is straight and not curved. It has been proven that straighter edges have lesser probability of growing nails inwards.
3. To avoid ingrown toenails, use toe nail clippers which are different from the finger nail clippers. You can find them in the market. If not, use a scissors as scissors tends to leave straighter edges and is less sharper than finger nail clippers.
4. Do not get a pedicure while you still have an ingrown nail and reduce the frequency of pedicures if you are prone to developing ingrown nails as the instruments used may not be clean enough and exposure to microbes makes an ingrown nail worse. Also, the creams that are used to massage your feet may affect the nails.
5. Wearing shoes for longer duration is another reason that some people develop ingrown nails. Leave your toes open whenever you can and let them breathe.
6. Wear shoes that are not very tight on your legs and leave some space for your toes. Wearing shoes that are one size larger than your actual shoe size can help prevent ingrown nails if you have to wear shoes for longer duration and are prone to developing ingrown nails.
7. Make sure that the socks you wear are washed every time you wear them so that they do not cause or spread infections. Also, try not to wear colored socks as the colors along with your sweat can cause infections to your legs.
8. Apply an antibiotic cream that goes with your skin on your toe nails and finger nails twice everyday. Once in the morning when you get up and in the night before you go to sleep.
9. Once a week, soak your feet in warm water which has Iodine added to it. Iodine being an antiseptic, this can prevent any infection from prevailing on your finger or toe nail beds.
10. Keep your nails clean by cleaning them every day. Children are more prone to developing ingrown nails as dirt accumulates under their nails leading to infections. Parents should keep their nails clean.